Friday, April 21, 2006

Russian Media

Once every couple of months I try to find some sensible Russian newspapers on the web. I am sure they do exist, but after couple of hours I usually give up - too much nationalism and too little self-criticism tends to have that effect on me. Anyway, this is a list of newspapers I have come up with by checking what BBC monitors over there.

Gazeta
Nezavisimaya Gazeta
Novaya Gazeta
Moskovskaya Pravda
Moskovskiy Komsomolets
The Moscow Times
The Moscow News
Sovetskaya Rossiya
Kommersant
Vedomosti
Izvestia
Argumentiy i Faktiy

Will go through them in the next couple of days and try to find something sensible (i.e. having a liberal and democratic outlook - and I don't mean the ideas of the party run by Mr Zhirinovsky)

Meanwhile I will add Pravda (English version) to the news links, I was going to add it to the "right" section, but it is too messed up for that, although it does somewhat remind me of the Fox News. It's great entertainment of the fictional variety.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So how did it go? did you find anything sensible...?

i read exile very often but don't know too much about printed russian newspapers.

By-the-way did you hear that there will soon be a Russian version of The Apprentice a certain Mr Potanin is going to be hosting the show!

4/26/2006 03:31:00 PM  
Blogger amitav said...

Have not had a look through those newspapers yet.

I like the Exile, but they are not as anti-Russian government as they used to be. Sure, they do make smart remarks once in a while, but it does not have the same bite as before.

War Nerd columns are of course a great read. While I don't agree with all his views, I certainly appreciate his attempt to cut through the bullshit.

As for the Apprentice making a Russian debut, no, I have not heard of it. But I am not surprised. There are a lot of shows on Russian TV, ranging from "Fear Factor" to "Who Wants to be a Millionaire."

Putin needs bread and circuses to keep the population in check. The western entertainment templates take care nicely of the circus part. Meanwhile, the windfalls from the high oil prices, thanks to the increase in demand from India and China and due to Bush's skillful gun-boat diplomacy, help to put the bread on the table.

4/27/2006 03:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home